Online fitness marketing is a hot topic these days. More and more people are looking to work online as a personal trainer or start their own business in this industry. But how do you get started? This blog post will show you the basics of how to be an online personal trainer so that you can build your brand, grow your community, and succeed!
Learn How To Be An Online Personal Trainer With Tips Below!
Decide on a Niche
Deciding on the niche for your online personal training business will be an important starting point. Consider who you want to work with, what their goals are, and whether there’s enough demand in this market. This will help your content marketing efforts because when you are writing your content it will resonate way better if you truly understand and get to know your audience, their problems, and their emotions before working with them.
Some niche ideas for personal trainers are:
- Moms that are losing baby weight.
- Men or Women who want to lose weight before a wedding.
- People who need fitness training after a recent injury.
- Anyone training for a certain event coming up.
How can I become a personal trainer online?
Well, the first step to becoming a personal trainer online is to establish your own personal training brand. You’ll need to come up with a catchy name, create a logo for your company, and design an introductory video that will help potential clients understand the type of workouts you offer.
Once you have all this setup, it’s time to start marketing! Posting on social media sites like Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram will play an integral role in getting your new business up and running. You’ll also want to start building a following on YouTube, where you can link back to the videos of yourself training others that you post elsewhere online.
Your ultimate goal is to build an engaged community around your brand by finding niche communities within Facebook groups or similar platforms.
Is Online Personal Training Profitable?
Your ability to be profitable as an online personal trainer will depend on your business model. If you offer one-on-one sessions online, your hourly rate will be much higher than it would if you were to offer group training classes in a studio setting.
On the other hand, you can sell pre-recorded video training at a lower cost but you aren’t limiting yourself to where you work with clients. You can also take on way more clients because you don’t have to work with them in person.
Can I be an online personal trainer with no experience?
Having some experience in the fitness industry will definitely help you as an online personal trainer, but it isn’t necessary. You may have spent your time as a client for one of the bigger gyms and gained experience there or even just been working out on your own this whole time.
If you have a solid grasp on what it takes to achieve real results for each of your clients then you have the knowledge you need to succeed. There is much more to it than meets the eye, however.
Business skills are a must for online personal trainers. Some popular marketing and business books you should read are “The Self-made Entrepreneur”, “How to Win Friends & Influence People”, “Blue Ocean Strategy”, and “The 1-Page Marketing Plan”.
How do I start an online personal training business?
If you are looking to start your own online business as a personal trainer the first thing you must do is find a way to differentiate yourself from the competition. That is because it’s nearly impossible for anyone just starting out in this industry to compete with established professionals who have been working for decades and enjoy well-established reputations that are hard to beat, especially when they’re charging similar amounts of money.
The easiest way to differential yourself is to define your niche. The next thing you should do to start an online personal training business is getting your website up and running. Once you have a website you can start marketing all of your services and products.
When you’re first starting out, the most cost-effective way to do this is with social media platforms like Facebook and Instagram for starters.
You want to make sure your website is set up correctly so that you can properly scale your business. Make sure you have a funnel that is getting you, email subscribers, automating repetitive tasks, and getting scheduling, booking, and paperwork all automated so that when you do start getting clients you are able to focus your time and energy on what matters.
How much do you charge for online personal training?
The amount of money that you charge as a personal trainer will depend on the market you are in.
I would say a good starting point for an online personal trainer is $40-60 per hour of coaching time and this pricing should be consistent with other fitness professionals that offer the same type of service or product. You’ll want to pay attention to what other people in your area are charging so that you have a ballpark range to work with. You can call around to a few local gyms and see exactly what they charge.
If you are doing online training though, you’ll likely be charging a bit lower for your classes or group coaching but you’re actually able to make more money because you’ll be working with more clients over a longer amount of time.
Your price is going to depend solely on your reputation as a personal trainer and your experience. Prices can range from $40-$300 per month depending on what it is that you offer in your online training course.
Do I need a business license for online personal training?
No, you do not need a business license to be a personal trainer but if you are self-employed you may want to register yourself as an LLC or sole proprietor as well as get an EIN. You can get your LLC set up by visiting your state’s website for fairly cheap. And then you can get your EIN for free on the IRS website.
In order to easily separate your personal and business finances, you can then set up a different bank account with this information and set aside the appropriate money for taxes.
Do you need qualifications to be an online personal trainer?
In order to be a personal trainer these days, you need to have first completed a personal training certification course in order to obtain the necessary knowledge and practical skills for working with clients.
You will first need to take an online fitness marketing course or find one that is available locally through your community college or technical school. This can be done by checking their website’s list of courses offered. Next, you’ll want to find a fitness certification course that is available online.
You could try one of the following programs:
- ACE personal trainer certification course
- NASM nutrition and diet specialist certificate program
- CPT certified personal trainer qualification (this will train you to be an ACSM health/fitness instructor)
How do I become a personal trainer online?
To actually take your knowledge and get your personal training business running smoothly online you will want to find a way to start building your online presence. The easiest way is to build an email list so that you can stay in touch with potential and current clients, as well as send out information about new programs or special offers.
Freebie offers are a great way to build up your email list. One example of a freebie offer for personal trainers is a free TDEE calculator to post on your website where they give you their email address for personalized results.
Another good freebie for the fitness industry is a weekly meal prep plan with ingredients, cooking instructions, recipes, and macros. You want to make sure that your freebie is valuable to your ideal customer so that they actually want to give you their email address.
How much money do online personal trainers make?
The amount of money that you make will depend on how much time and effort you put into your business. Popular fitness bloggers make between $100,000-$300,000 per year solely on their blog.
Some online personal trainers will charge clients by the hour or they have a monthly membership that operates as an unlimited gym pass; others offer services for free in exchange for client testimonials or social media. So if you’re wondering “How much money does an online personal trainer make?” The answer isn’t always that clear, but you can expect a good amount once you start to become established and scale your business correctly.
How do I become an online personal trainer?
In order to become a personal trainer, you will need to complete a certification course in an accredited school. You can find online courses for personal training that you may be able to take from the comfort of your home.
You will also have to get certified by one of the following organizations: National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM), American Council on Exercise (ACE), or International Organization for Physical.
How do I start my own online personal training?
You won’t be able to start a personal training business without first investing in a certification. You can take classes in order to become certified as a personal trainer and then find certification bodies, like the National Federation of Professional Trainers, that will certify you in your state. The NFPT has certifications for trainers at Entry Level (ELT) and at Professional (P). Keep in mind that they certify trainers working outside of the industry including martial artists, physical therapists, etc.
Typically these courses are shorter than professional certifications for online fitness instructors or fitness coaches and are offered by nail tech academies since it is assumed that an individual wants to start his or her own on-call service; getting clients he/she knows
You don’t have to go through the process alone. Here’s the kind of guidance and encouragement you need on your journey towards starting a personal training business:
1. Come up with a reasonable hourly rate that will allow you to make money while providing good service
2. Build an in-demand niche so there’s no overflow of demand for your services
3. Create a logo that looks professional
4. Create a website/blog about fitness, exercise, and nutrition tips for anyone who could use some help building themselves up
5. Research and develop workouts based on what your clients need (i.e., muscle toning, cardio, weight loss)
6. Begin marketing by doing these things: contacting companies who
How can I be a good personal trainer online?
1. Always do what’s best for your client, not what might make them more comfortable or happy. One of the most frequent career mistakes a trainer can make is focusing on the people they’re trying to help, and forgetting that there are tons of other people who need that same help waiting in line behind them. So be assertive with your clients in order to serve their long-term interests rather than caring about short-term backlash or because you don’t want to hurt their feelings.
2. Be passionate about this work! People respond positively when they see levels of enthusiasm that mirror theirs for improvement
3. Regularly ask your clients if they feel like you’re achieving the goals you set together. If you develop a healthy habit of this, it’s a good way to keep track of how your clients are feeling about you and your services.
How do I become an online trainer?
The most important thing for becoming an online trainer is the skill to teach. It’s not about physical knowledge, it’s about how good you are with presenting the information.
And as I’m sure you’ve noticed by this point in human history, teaching has two aspects: preparation and delivery. Below I’ll briefly outline these two areas of focus, but we’ll go into much more detail in future chapters which lay out a step-by-step plan to help prepare for a successful career as a self-driven trainer without working up the corporate ladder or waiting around for someone else to open doors on your behalf.
Preparation entails figuring out what type of training your customers want but doesn’t know what they want yet.
How much do online trainers make?
The salary for a trainer varies widely, but there are primarily two sources of income – bonus compensation and personal training clients. Bonuses are usually calculated as a percentage of the total revenue generated by an individual’s clients for that month.
Personal training client pay rates vary based on the experience level of the trainer if not set by an outside third-party provider. For most trainers with full-time or part-time jobs, bonuses from their job can make up about 60% to 80% of their monthly earnings.
Parks Associates has estimated that the average annual revenue per personal-trainer client is $821 per year, and averages only about 5 minutes out of each hour with new clients. Physical trainers across America can expect to make an average
It’s up to $10,000/year after you make your first sale.
How much they make depends on a few factors:
1. the marketplace – if there’s an opportunity for lots of people to purchase from their course online, (a) it’ll be easier to market and (b) more demand will exist for them
2. the quality of their product – so even if the market is very narrow, producing high-quality content will still lead to a lot of sales in that narrow subset of buyers but low income overall.
3. how thorough they are with presenting their product – things like video courses can often take months or years worth of work creating videos or screencasts,
What is the best online personal trainer?
Who or what is the best online personal trainer depends on what you’re looking for, and that’s something we can help you figure out.
For those people who want to improve their physical fitness through exercise alone, without guidance or feedback from anyone else, then it might make sense to try a service like YouTube which offers plenty of video workout programs that vary in length and difficulty. A good place to start would be with programs from our curated list of channels that provide expert advice on how to take control of your health (along with knowledge-based videos) – like Draw 4 Health or Fitness Motivation Yoga Fitness. However, if you’re looking for in-depth instruction on exercises, exercises sequencing, training frequency/schedule, and other body transformations metrics
Is Online Personal Training effective?
- The benefits of online training versus in-person training could include:
- Completely Personalized Workout
- Lower prices (depending on the service)
- No office or gym membership needed
- No commute time to and from a location every day
- Strategized workout plans for consistent success and improvement.
- There is less social pressure regarding bulking up, shrinking down, etc.
- Allows you to continue working during workouts as long as it doesn’t involve heavy physical exertion or lifting weights.
- You can also work out with others if privacy isn’t an issue. It’s fun! People who are audio-visual learners may have a better chance of getting it right with visual feedback from an instructor.
How do online personal trainers get more clients?
A trainer may start by using social media to build up their client base. They begin by posting interesting snippets about themselves and then introduce their fitness services.
Another possible avenue is to advertise through platforms like Google or Bing, which can take its toll on the budget as advertisers are charged based on a pay-per-click model. A trainer could also solicit referrals, in this case from friends and family if they have enough support for it.
This not only enables them to increase their reputation but it also reduces the amount of work that needs to be done because they’re expecting people who will use them with little convincing needed so there’s no need for extensive marketing campaigns or advertising efforts such as AdWords ads or paid posts on Instagram.
When it comes to online personal trainers, remember that they are competing with other sites just like themselves. This means they need to have a reason for people to choose them over the rest of their competitors.
How do I start an online personal training program?
- Review exercise science textbooks for personal training basics
- Commit to at least 3 workouts per week for the next 6 months
- Design a wellness program incorporating different healthy food and physical activity choices in order to increase the frequency, intensity, and duration of physical activity
- Schedule time, once a week to mentally prepare with your trainer/coach about what you are able to get through in the scheduled session (set priorities) as well as how many hours on weekends, can be devoted to athletic pursuits. You will need time during the day to see over data from past sessions performed in order to complete all aspects of your used service. There is no such thing as too much preparation.
How do you create a personal training program?
1. Determine the equipment you need to complete your workouts. For example, do you have a pull-up bar in your home, and will you be purchasing any weights or kettlebells? Note that it’s best not to start with too many major equipment purchases because they’re expensive and can get in the way of what you want to do later.
2. Decide on which workout programs at which intensity shall comprise each of the sessions for this week (depending on time available). Your first few weeks should focus on cardio work (jogging, walking briskly, playing basketball), but after a month or two, you’ll likely be ready for muscle workouts such as weight lifting or high-intensity interval training.
What software do online personal trainers use?
The most common software that online personal trainers use is Fitocracy, TrainingPeaks, and the Runkeeper app. Some other popular ones are My Fitness Pal, Training Log, and Fit Planet.
If you want to become a personal trainer online, the first thing you need is an idea of what niche or specialization your business will focus on.
You can have as many niches as you like if they are all related to fitness and health but make sure that each one has enough demand in the market so it’s worth investing time into building something specialized around it.
Once this is done, find out how much money people pay for services in that area (research well!) then create packages of training sessions that escalate from beginner level up until advanced levels with different pricing points depending on experience required.
It may be helpful to offer some free introductory courses too! Next set up your website where potential clients can signup for various programs.
If you need help creating a website that allows you to scale, let me know by booking a free discussion here.